Monday, November 2, 2009

Too Hot Not.

There are times when I really struggle to encapsulate a mood - something I frequently find comes to me easily, as I slide into a song or a dance or a book or film, or activity and embrace it whole-heartedly.
This tussle tends to head towards the 'unsettled' - a place that is, while Theoretically* useful, challenging, and engaging, is hardly the kind of mood to take to a party.
Hence my dilemma last evening, when, dinner dress in hand I took stock of my unsettled state, and (advisably, sensibly) promptly banned myself from polite society.
Wise. Sage.
Also, reminiscent of Jonathan Cainer's advice - which, while dubious at the best of times, sometimes allows me to put voice to a useful sentiment -
" It may help to think of yourself as someone who has long wanted to travel to a very special place. After months of hope and preparation, you have boarded the ship that is due to take you to your preferred port. You have even begun to get used to the layout of your cabin - and to the rhythm and routine of the vessel. That may sound easy but it probably feels odd. There's often a big gap between our idea of what a situation is likely to be like and the experience itself. It is good that you are on the boat but it is important not to confuse the journey with the destination. To all intents and purposes, you're still just 'setting off'."
Oh, and the sweet croonings of the indomitable, incomparable Rosemary Clooney.






*yes, Theory with a big 'T', the rarified university-wall Theory.

No comments: